Monday, July 18, 2016

Doodletopia: Manga by Christopher Hart


Title: Doodletopia - Manga: Draw, Design, and Color Your Own Super-Cute Manga Characters and More
Author: Christopher Hart
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Watson-Guptill
Publication Date: June 21, 2016
Source: Blogging for Books

It has been quite awhile since I tried to draw in the manga style.  No really, it is has probably been a good couple of years.  I used to draw in it all the time.  I was quite a fan of manga and anime, but over time that love decreased and I kind of forgot about it.

Then I saw the opportunity to get the Doodletopia: Manga book off of Blogging for Books in exchange for a review and I found myself thinking "why not?"  I have been feeling the urge/need to be creative and to draw again, so I figured that this book would give me some inspiration and that it would help me get back in to it.

And this book is definitely filled with inspiration.  It teaches you about facial expressions and how to get the emotion you want them to show across.  Also, it teaches you about how to work with the body of your character and gives you some suggestions and tips on how to to draw certain emotions.

However, probably my favorite bit of what it teaches you to draw is the little animal characters.  It has quite a few of them in there and they are all so cute!  I think that the pandas and the elephant are probably my favorite.

It also shows you examples and teaches you how to draw "cute" things that you can add to your drawing in manga style aside from animals.  Like cupcakes!

There really is quite a bit to this book, and it covers a lot...but what it doesn't cover is how to draw things like hair or eyes and stuff like that.  It seems to think that you already have the basic idea of how to draw in the manga style.  That this book seems like it is more meant to help you hone your craft than to teach you how to draw the manga style.

All in all, it is a great book and I definitely will be learning a lot from it!


My Rating
5 Stars


This review is based on a copy provided by Blogging for Books in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment