Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Case of Lisandra P. by Helene Gremillon


Title: The Case of Lisandra P.
Author: Helene Gremillon
Translator: Alison Anderson
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Penguin Books
Publication Date: January 12, 2016
Source: First to Read


I was pretty excited to learn that I had won a digital advanced reading copy of this book from the First to Read program.  I was in the mood to read a psychological suspense novel.  I wanted something that would keep me on my toes and guessing through the whole thing.

Well, it did keep me guessing through the whole thing...

This story is a "who done it" kind of story.  Lisandra P. is dead.  She was found four stories down from one of her apartment windows dead on the street.  Thrown.  The police automatically suspected her husband Vittorio of the crime.

Vittorio was a shrink, a psychoanalyst.  And one of he had recruited one of his patients, Eva Maria to help him figure out who really did kill his wife (as he denied that it was him).

So we follow Eva Maria as she tries to puzzle the whole mystery together to try to prove that Vittorio did not kill his wife.

Sounds like a great read right? 

 Well, it could have been.  It had great potential.  However, it dragged...a lot.  There were some moments that I was completely pulled in, but the parts that were slow far exceeded the interesting bits.

I also never really found myself connected with any of the characters in the story.  I wish I could have found some connection, but it just never happened.

I also kept finding myself running into bits of the story that I just didn't fully understand.  I guess they were meant for building the character profiles, but I could have done without some of it.

I really wish I could have gotten to read this one in its original language.  I think it would have been better as I am sure that some things were lost in translation.

All in all, I really wanted to like this book, but it fell very short for me.  I finished it because curiosity and the hope that it would get better kept me going.

My Rating
2.5 Stars

This review is based on an eARC provided by the publishers via the First to Read program in exchange for a fair and honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment