Tuesday, November 17, 2015

All the Major Constellations by Pratima Cranse


Title: All the Major Constellations
Author: Pratima Cranse
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Viking Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: November 10, 2015
Source: Publisher

Before we start, I want you to take a moment to look at the cover.  Isn't it beautiful?  This cover really sums up the overall feeling I got from this book.  When I was a teenager I would spend a lot of time contemplating life while looking up at the night sky.  I loved and still love the stars.  So even before starting this book it was already pulling on my heart strings a little bit.

This is a hard story to describe.  It is actually quite complex.  There are a lot of different things going on at once.

The main characters name is Andrew.  I couldn't help but feel for him.  The guy has it rough.  He has a hard home life - he doesn't get along with his older brother or dad at all...and his mom seems distant.  The girl he is in love with is virtually unattainable.  And to top it all off one of his 2 best friends was in a horrible car accident.

One of the biggest themes in All the Major Constellations is religion.  At first I was really worried that the whole story was going to be about finding God and accepting him into your life, but it isn't.  Not really any way.

This story is a story of self discovery and self understanding.

I will say that I thought there were some points that the narration went a little weird, but most of the time it worked out quite well.  I do think that some part of the story would have been more hard hitting if it had actually been Andrew telling us the story and not us reading about him experiencing it though.

Also, in case these things matter for you when reading, there is quite a lot of language use in this book.  It goes throughout the whole thing.  There are also some sexual things.  Nothing descriptive, but it is in there.

All in all, I felt that this was a beautiful story.  I enjoyed watching it all unfold.  I really liked watching Andrew grow throughout.  It was hard for me to decide between 3.5 and 4 stars, but ultimately I went with...

My Rating
4 Stars

This review is based on a copy provided by the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.



No comments:

Post a Comment